Koderma district is one of the twenty-four districts of Jharkhand state, India, and Koderma is the administrative headquarters of this district.
Koderma district was created on 10 April 1994, after being carved out of the original Hazaribagh district. It is currently a part of the Red Corridor.
Koderma is bordered by Nawada district of Bihar on the north, the Gaya district of Bihar on the west, the Giridih district of Jharkhand on the east, and the Hazaribag district of Jharkhand on the south.
Koderma is surrounded by forests and lots of natural resources, Dhawajadhari Pahar (hill) that is dedicated to lord SHIVA and on the MAHASHIVRATRI lots of devotees get together to worship the GOD.Barsoti river flows through the district.
Koderma district is richly endowed with natural resources. At one time, Koderma was considered as the mica capital of India. During that time, the townships of Koderma and Jhumeri Tilaiya saw the rise of several mica tycoons, including the houses of Bhadanis, Modi family including late chottu Modi and Rajgarhias. Now it the fastest developing city in Jharkhand.
Koderma district consists of 06 Blocks. The following are the list of the Blocks in Koderma district:
- Koderma Block
- Jainagar Block
- Chandwara Block
- Markachho Block
- Domchanch Block
- Satgawan Block
In 2006 the Indian government named Koderma one of the country’s 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 21 districts in Jharkhand currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
In the matter of education koderma known as backward city but in recent scenario lots of people from this district has got national level recognition because of education. lots of doctors, engineers and other professionals belong to this city. Lots of people from this region giving much stress on education. There are several schools and degree colleges in Koderma:
- Bal Vikas Mandir, Koderma
- Government Polytechnic,Koderma(formally known as mining institute/government mining technology institute,Koderma) which was established in 1962 and controlled under dept. of science and technology,govt. of jharkhand
- Ramgovind Institute of Technology, Koderma established in 2000 affiliated with VINOBHA BHAVE UNIVERSITY(HAZARIBAGH)
- Jagannat Jain College established at 1960 at Lakhi Baghi
- Jeevan Jyoti School ( Lakhi Baghi )
- Koderma High School ( Koderma )
- Girl School ( Koderma )
- Sainik School, Tilaiya (boys-only residential school, established on 16 September 1963)
- Kailash roy Saraswati vidya Mandir, Jhumri Telaiya(Vidya Bharti Foundation)
- PVSS DAV School, Koderma
- Adarsh Madhya Vidyalaya (Nanku School) located at Rajgadhiya road
- Grizzly Vidyalaya, a CBSE-affiliated residential School, located in the Damodar Valley
- Saraswati Shishu Mandir (established 1984), run by the Bal Bharti Samiti of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh
- Gandhi High School
- Rameshwar Modi Mahadeo Modi High School, Chandwara
- Modern Public School
- Adarsh Vidyalaya, located at the Mahatma Gandhi Marg; established on 1974 by Dhaneshwar Sharma
- St. Joseph School
- Adarsh +2 Uchcha Vidyalaya, Madhwatand, A CBSE affiliated School
- Sacred Heart School
- CD Girls High School
- St.Xavier’s academy
- CH High School
The district has three major towns – Koderma, Jhumri Telaiya, Domchanch. Koderma,Jhumri Telaiya are located along National Highway 31, which connects Ranchi and Patna. Koderma Railway station is on the Grand Chord railway line, which connects Calcutta and Delhi.
- Sadar hospital, Koderma
- Jay Prakash Hospital,Chitragupt Nagar, Jhumri Telaiya, koderma
- Hope hospital, Jhumri telaiya, koderma
- Gayatri Hospital, Jhumri telaiya, Koderma
- Geeta Clinic,Jhumri Telaiya, Koderma
- Holy Family Hospital, Koderma
- Parvati clinic,Jhumri Telaiya, koderma
- Chandra clinic,Jhumri Telaiya, koderma
- Raj Clinic,Jhumri Telaiya, koderma
- Kumar Clinic, Purnadih, Phulwariya, Kodarma
- Jay Prakash Hospital,Chitragupt Nagar Jhumri Telaiya, Koderma
- Mahavir CT Scan Centre,Jhanda Chawk,Jhumri Telaiya, Koderma
- Bage’s Diagnostic Centre,Jhumri Telaiya, Koderma
- Bhadani Diagnostic Centre,Jhumri Telaiya, Koderma
The district comprises six blocks: Koderma, Jainagar, Markacho, Satgawan, Chandwara and Domchanch.
The Vidhan Sabha constituency of this district are Kodarma, Barkatha and Barhi, which are part of Koderma and Hazaribag Lok Sabha constituency respectively.
According to the 2011 census Koderma district has a population of 717,169, roughly equal to the nation of Bhutan or the US state of Alaska. This gives it a ranking of 500th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 427 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,110/sq mi). Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 32.59%. Kodarma has a sex ratio of 949 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 68.35%.
Data Source: WikiPedia